Friday 8 March 2013

Sid the Cocker


Our little cocker that I mentioned in the previous post is now nearly six months old. But why a cocker? Well a number of reasons really, I wanted a dog that wouldn’t take up too much room in the van and have plenty of stamina to eventually be able to join me out at work all day if necessary. The main reason is that I have grown very attached to one of the dogs that I walk regularly who is you guessed it a Cocker! It must have been 6 weeks after Flo died that we thought about getting another dog (other options included a French bully, but price and practicality ruled that out, for the reasons I gave earlier) As things happen we texted a client whose relation was getting a cocker spoke the breeder he had 1 male left I went to see him the next day and that was that. We decided on the Sunday to get a Cocker and had one on the Tuesday, no messing! He is lovely so far ticking all the boxes of a good companion dog. We have crate trained him, not something I was a fan of until I had seen how much success clients have had with their dogs. I did as much research as I could (still doing it!) into the best way to raise a pup and things like toilet training and biting were resolved very quickly so the research was worth doing .Overall I am very pleased with his progress so far he is very affectionate, loves to play but settles well in his crate throughout the day when I am busy. We still have more work to do on recall and loose leash walking but I am very happy with his focus, we play a lot, retrieving, tug, find it games, just started some searching and scent detection (very basic stuff) but it is all paying off and his focus on me is brilliant. So far even at the beach or park he would much rather play with me than another dog and if another dog does come over all I need to do is get a toy out and he totally ignores the other dog. This is something I was very keen to make happen and knew would be a challenge as I already have a dog at home and regularly have other dogs stay at our house. So far, so good and very, very enjoyable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment